Rudyard Kipling Details Plaque
Rudyard Kipling Details Plaque. The plaque explaining the history of Kipling House in Villiers Street, can be seen to the right of the entrance to Kipling House. The blue commemorative plaque is above the entrance to Kipling House on the right.
The plaque reads: "Kipling House and the ground on which it stands enjoys an interesting and illustrious past, standing on the site of Norwich House, the town house of The Bishops of Norwich, which dates back to 1237. Upon the great dissolution of the monasteries in 1536, the house was granted to The Duke of Suffolk, and later given to the Archbishops of York. * From 1558 to the 1620's the house was given to the successors of The Keepers of the Great Seal, and in 1624 it was given to George Villiers, Duke of Buckingham, who added the nearby York Watergate, in order to gain direct access to the river. * A house on this land was first leased in 1674 but burned down four years later, and in 1701, after it was rebuilt, Samuel Pepys, the diarist, lived here, and it was later occupied by the salt office. * The property was rebuilt in the 1790's and used as a seedsman's warehouse until it became landlocked when the river was embanked in the 1860's. * Francis Bacon was born here in 1561, and Rudyard Kipling, after whom this building is named, lived here between 1889 and 1891. * Kipling House was totally reconstructed, refurbished and modernised in 1995-1996.
Back to Rudyard Kipling Photographs Index
The stalky.com Stalky & Co website is written and maintained to allow maximum accessibility. The website design is standards compliant to allow viewing with any browser.